Cutting your grass manually is a long, tiring, and tedious process. Instead of spending hours outside in the heat, you can stay inside while a robot does the job for you. Check out our robotic lawn mower reviews and guide so you can determine the best robotic lawn mower for your yard.
How to Choose a Robotic Lawn Mower
One of the first things to consider when you are selecting your robot mower is the size of your yard. Some are best for small to medium sized areas, while others are designed for larger properties. If you have a large yard, it is best that your unit has different zone program settings. It can trim one area at a time and return to the charging station between zones.
Does your yard have hills, ditches, or inclines? If so, you’ll need a one that is powerful enough to handle these slopes. All of the products on our review list have a maximum incline percentage so you can compare them based on the terrain.
Top 5 Robotic Lawn Mowers Comparison Table
|Product Name||Max Cutting Surface||Slope Capability||PIN Enabled?||Our Rating||Price|
|1/4 Acre||20 degrees||Yes||
|1/4 Acre||22 degrees||Yes||
McCulloch ROB 1000
|1/4 Acre||14 degrees||Yes||
|1/2 Acre||20 degrees||Yes||
|1/4 Acre||20 degrees||Yes||
What Are the Advantages and Benefits of a Robotic Lawn Mower?
The grass clippings from a robot mower stay on the ground, as opposed to going in a bag like some gasoline-powered push mowers. A study at Colorado State University explains that these clippings create enough nutrients for 50% of your fertilizer.
Once you set up your unit, you’ll save valuable time that you used to spend cutting the grass. Instead of exhausting yourself in the sun and heat, you can stay inside and let your robot do all the hard work for you instead. The best part is you don’t even have to be home while your yard is getting manicured.
Things to Look for in a Robotic Lawn Mower
You want to find one with sharp blades that create a smooth and even trim throughout your yard. It’s also important to find lawnmowers with sensor settings for obstacles in your yard such as trees, bushes, and fences.
Program settings are a top priority as well so make sure to review different models before make a purchase. The best ones all have simple control panels that make it easy for you to navigate and program your machine accordingly. Some models can even detect rain or humidity, and you can adjust those settings based on if you want your robot to mow in certain weather conditions.
According to the Nationwide Children’s Hospital Organization, nearly 4,800 children each year are injured from lawn mowers. 39% of these injuries are cuts, and another 15% are burns. Typically, these mowers cause damage to children’s hands, feet, and legs.
Robot mowers help minimize and eliminate these injuries to children and adults alike. Look for ones that have safety features such as a pin locking code. A child won’t be able to operate the machine without knowing your security code. Furthermore, some machines automatically stop if they get picked up, which would prevent a blade injury.
Lawnmowers also damage the environment. In a study by the United States Environmental Protection Agency, they determined that using a gas powered mower creates the same amount of emissions in one hour as 11 cars in an hour. Robot units are battery operated and don’t cause any harmful emissions to the environment.
Prerequisites to Using a Robotic Lawn Mower
One of the prerequisites to using a robotic lawn mower is laying down the perimeter wires. These wires create a boundary line for the mower, so it doesn’t cross into a neighbor’s yard or clip through an area that you want to be left alone.
Here is the basic visual concept of a working perimeter wire with a robot mower before it gets installed.
Once you have the wire set up, you’ll want to set up the home base and charging station. Most of the best models in the market return to the base automatically after it has completed the programmed cutting session. At the base, your robot will also receive a charge before the next scheduled cut.
Finally, you’ll have to program your machine. Use the instructional guide that comes with your package to navigate through the control panel to change the settings. Program the timing, zones, and weather conditions that you want your machine to operate in.
After you complete these basic perquisites, your robot is ready to roll.
The Best Robotic Lawn Mowers for 2017
We’ve selected the top five robotic lawn mowers on the market. Using our robotic lawn mower comparison and review guide, you’ll be able to find one that suits your wants and needs best.
1. WORX WG794 Landroid
The Worx WG794 Landroid comes fully programmed straight out of the box, so it’s easy for you to use and get started right away. Other models take time and effort to program with complicated directions, but the Landroid comes ready to go.
It’s made with advanced technology to maneuver through narrow openings and passageways. If your lawn has lots of sharp turns and corners around your house, patio, or landscaping features like bushes or trees, you might want to consider the importance of this sensor system benefit.
The Landroid makes smooth cuts so you won’t have to worry about your turfs looking uneven. It can also handle inclines and declines up to 20 degrees, which is important to know if your property has any natural or man-made hills or ditches. This won’t get stuck or trapped on a hill.
When the Worx Landroid is done, it automatically returns to the pre-set home base; you won’t have to manually stop it. It will also come back to the base in the event of a rainstorm or low battery.
The top of the machine pops up so you can access the interface, which is very user-friendly and intuitive. From here you’ll have all the options to set up, program, and customize your unit. The interface is easy to navigate and won’t overwhelm you with extra unnecessary and confusing buttons.
Grass is not created equal, which is no problem for the Worx Landroid. Whether your sod is tall, thick, short, or patchy, the Landroid mower can handle the task of cutting it.
- It is self-sufficient. It returns back to home base when it’s done, when the battery is low, or if it starts to rain.
- It has an easy to use interface where you can program and customize all of the mower’s options.
- Since it runs off of a battery, there are no harmful emissions damaging the environment.
- The sensor system technology navigates through obstacles and makes precision turns.
- It can work on hills with an incline or decline of up to 20 percent.
- You can mow day or night; since it operates silently, you won’t disturb your sleeping neighbors.
- There are limitations to how big of a lawn it can work through. It’s not suitable for areas over 10,750 square feet.
- It’s 36 pounds, so it may be heavy for some people to carry if you need to transport it for any reason.
2. Husqvarna 967623405 Automower 315
The Husqvarna 967623405 uses three rotating razor sharp blades to operate. The rotating blade system ensures that the manicure is even and grows back healthy every time it’s used.
It can also operate on an incline, which is important if you have any hills or ditches in your yard that requires trimmimg. It can handle inclines of up to 40 percent without getting stuck.
It mows quietly and discreetly, so you can even run it during the night without having to worry about disturbing yourself or your neighbors while everyone is asleep. That way you can wake up in the morning to a freshly mowed lawn.
Unlike other models, this one is environmentally friendly and does not cause any dangerous emissions while it is operating.
It runs on four wheels that can handle precision turns and tight navigation, which is great for people with complex garden structures. If your area is medium sized and less than 16,000 square feet, it is best to consider the Automower as a top option for your current situation.
The operating menu has a large and easy to read display system that allows you to completely customize the machine to your personal preferences. You can set it to mow the entire yard or just specific zones and sections.
- The cutting system creates smooth blades of sod that grow back healthy and even.
- It’s safe for the environment and doesn’t release any emissions in the air.
- You can trim your turf at any time since the silent operating system won’t disturb people while they are sleeping.
- It has a large menu that’s easy to read and operate all the customizable programming options.
- Since it can make precision turns, it’s ideal for people with complex garden designs and obstacles in their yard.
- It can work on inclines or declines of up to 40%.
- Long and thick growth is not a problem for the sharp razor blades.
- You have to buy the installation kit separately. The machine will not run without the install kit.
- Sometimes it can be a nuisance for people with fences since it can get stuck from time to time.
- The manufacturer does not have a great customer service and support team if you have any problems or questions with your unit.
3. McCulloch ROB 1000
The McCulloch ROB 1000 is simple to install. First, you have to create a boundary line with the provided wires around your lawn. These wires will tell the mower what area it needs to stay within. If you don’t want visible wires, you can put them below the surface as well, and the machine will still recognize their transmission.
For those of you with slopes in your yard up to 25%, this model can handle those areas with ease. You won’t have to worry about finding your machine stuck in the middle of the yard because it couldn’t manage to make its way up an incline.
A turf cutting robot might be an easy target for theft, which is why the McCulloch ROB 1000 has built-in security features. A loud alarm sounds off if the machine is lifted and the only way to turn it off is with your unique pin code. If a thief tries to take your machine, they won’t be able to get far with it or ever use it without entering the pin number.
This model from McCulloch is completely programmable. Just set the time you want it to operate and forget about it. You can set the machine to run day or night, and it can even function in the rain without any interference or problems.
Using the McCulloch blade system will ensure that your yard stays rich and healthy. It leaves fine clippings behind that can add nutrients to the soil and make sure that your turf stays thick and green. It also operates in silence, so it won’t disturb anyone in your house or other people in the neighborhood.
- Fully programmable, customizable, and everything needed to install comes in the package.
- Has the ability to operate in the rain.
- You can set the boundary wires below the ground so they aren’t visible and don’t create an eyesore.
- It has an anti-theft system with an alarm and pin code needed to operate.
- The machine runs in complete silence so you can program it to work at night without creating noise pollution in your neighborhood.
- It won’t get caught or stuck on hills with an incline lower than 25%.
- It’s not ideal for extremely large areas and can only effectively function under 10,890 square feet.
- You still have to use the wire system as a boundary, even if your yard has a fence.
4. Robomow RS622
Unlike other models, the Robomow RS622 comes with the installation kit fully included. You won’t have to worry about making a separate purchase to get started with your new machine.
One of the first things you’ll have to determine is where you’re going to keep the base station. The RS622 stays at the station between cuts and automatically returns there when the job is complete. It also gets charged at the home base.
There are some parts of the lawn that are too difficult for an automatic mower to reach. It has a remote control operating option so you can navigate the machine to trim these small patches of grass in your yard. However, the remote is not included in this package and needs to get purchased separately.
You can also program your unit to cut through different zones of your property at different times of the day. If you have a large lawn and want to send your unit back to the charging station between zones, you’ll have that option if you buy this machine.
The Robomow RS622 can cut grass on slopes as well. It’s capable of navigating and cutting on hills with an incline of up to 36%. It also has a weather sensor that can detect rain and even humidity. You can program it with preferences to determine if you want it working during certain weather conditions.
You need a pin code to operate the machine, so you won’t have to worry about children hurting themselves or thieves trying to take it. If it’s ever lifted off the ground during operation, the blades stop instantly to prevent any injuries.
- Multiple height adjustment options to keep the grass at your preferred length.
- The Lithium-Ferrum batteries are high performing and long lasting.
- Safety features include a pin code locking system, and the blades stop right away if the unit gets lifted off the ground.
- It can handle inclines of up to 36%.
- The machine operates with minimal noise, so it won’t cause a disturbance to your neighbors no matter what time you mow.
- It automatically returns to the charging station between cuts where your mower will receive a freshly charged battery.
- Can program multiple zones for large yards.
- The remote control option is available but requires an additional purchase.
- Sometimes the mower gets caught or stuck on the charging base.
- It can’t cross sidewalks or driveways.
5. Robomow RC306
Robomow has been making lawnmowers for the 20 years, so they are qualified experts in the industry. Purchasing a reputable brand means you are getting a product that is innovative and reliable.
With super sharp blades, the RC306 seamlessly cuts without any interruption. Lesser models have difficulty moving through thick grass and can potentially get stuck, but this has no trouble with thick growth.
It has a unique edge feature so that the blades clip beyond the wheels, which leaves a sharp finish and flawless design on your lawn. The wheels are 70% wider than other models of a similar size. Since the wheels are so wide, it has easier maneuverability and precision turning capabilities.
Once you program your RC306, it will independently leave the base to cut your grass based on your program settings. Once it’s done, it will automatically come back to the base to get charged and wait until the next scheduled task. You can also program multiple zones of your yard to get mowed at different times.
If you have children and are worried about the dangers of a robot with a blade in your yard, you might want to consider the RC306 for its safety features. Whenever someone picks up the machine from the ground the wheels automatically stop spinning if they are in motion. It also has a customized pin lock that helps prevents theft. The machine won’t work without the proper pin code.
- Weather sensor detects rain and humidity. If you don’t want your machine to operate in those conditions, simply program it that way.
- Can handle slopes of up to 36% if you have hills or inclines in your yard.
- Multiple zone programming options for large yards.
- Safety features include the pin code and the blades stopping when lifted.
- Automatically returns to home charging base between cuts to get charged and wait for the next schedule.
- Wide wheels allow for precision turning and easier maneuvering through difficult terrain or obstacles.
- Remote control operation option for tough to reach areas in your yard.
- It comes with the installation kit, so it’s easy to get set up and started right away.
- The sharp blades leave a smooth finish and even cut every time.
- Since it requires a perimeter wire on the grass, the mower won’t cross driveways or sidewalks.
- There have been instances where the mower overheats after prolonged use.
You’ll be satisfied if you buy any of the products on our list. However, the Robomow RS622 is the clearly the best robotic lawn mower in this roundup. It meets all the standards that we outlined earlier for what you should look for when purchasing a robot mower.
Everything you will require, including the installation kit, comes with your RS622 package. If you have any slopes in your yard, it can handle up to 36%, which is one of the highest inclines on our list.
It automatically returns to the charging station between cuts and you have the option to program multiple zones if you have a large lawn. The machine operates in silence, so it won’t cause any noise pollution and doesn’t release harmful air pollution or emissions either.
If you’re in the market for an alternative to conventional lawn mowers, you might want to consider one of the products on our robotic lawn mower review list.